Friday, December 10, 2010

My Journey into the Classics

Ok I admit I had never read Little Women until now I really can't believe I'm admitting that. Well I grew up a reader but it was books that I picked out or the schools mandatory reading list. I was never guided to the classics or at least classics that I would enjoy. For so many years I thought classics were dull and uninteresting because of the ones I was forced to read. No offense but I can't stand Steinbeck and since I lived in Calafornia during my high school years they felt they needed to cram him down our throughts. Charles Dickens, Jane Austen, the Bronte Sisters, George Orwell, James Herriot, just to name a few were never introduced to me in school. I wish that there would have been more variety I don't think there was even one female writer that I was introduced to during those four years. I did read I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings but that book was chosen by me from a list of books the teacher had given us. My goal this year is to extend my literary mind and read various classic books. I won't give my list of ideas at this moment since there are so many and so little time right now but my goals is to read anywhere from 8-12 classics.

No comments: